Monday 23 September 2013

MEMOIRS: “I Was Better Than Maldini, But The Coach Preferred Italians” – Taribo West




Taribo West has admitted that he did not have a long spell at AC Milan, because of Italian football legend, Paolo Maldini.

The former Nigeria international, played just four league games for the Rossoneri between 1999 and 2000, after a successful three seasons at rivals Inter Milan.

West says it was because the coach at the time, Alberto Zaccheroni, preferred to use the Italian defenders.

“There was stiff competition then for places involving me, Maldini and Costacurta and Zaccheroni chose to go with the Italians even when it was clear that I was the best,” Taribo told supersport.com.

West also insisted that his commitment to the Super Eagles, did not help his cause as he tried to cement a first-team berth at the il Diavolo.

“At that time, Nigeria was involved at the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations. I missed part of the season because I was with the Super Eagles at the tournament.

“When I came back to Milan from the Nations Cup, Maldini was injured so I duly took over his position in the team. I was fantastic in the games I played in his position but certain persons were not happy and the reaction I received was not pleasant.


“I was told that Maldini has a godfather at the club and that no one could just come in and kick him out of the first-team.

“I always had a good relationship with (the Inter Milan president, Massimo) Moratti so I discussed my situation with him but he told me what I was passing through was normal at Milan.

“Moratti told me that no one could take Maldini’s position at Milan and I was shocked.

“They told lies against me to force me out of the club. They claimed I had a heart condition similar to that of Nwankwo Kanu but I was able to play four league games and score one goal even from my withdrawn position.

“I was man-of-the-match in the four games I played for Milan that season but they refused to renew my contract at the end of the season,” he said.

Source: Daily Post

No comments:

Post a Comment