Sunday 13 October 2013

I’ll Never Wear Ill-Fitting Clothes — Bryan Okwara


He was crowned Mr. Nigeria in 2007. Since then, everything changed, including his career choice. Young, handsome and a delight to ladies, Bryan Okwara talks about his career in this interview

Q: Who is Bryan Okwara?

A: Before emerging as Mr. Nigeria, I presented programmes on Nigezie Television.  The first International modelling job I got was a beverage commercial, which was shot in South African in 2005. Before then, I modelled on a small scale, doing billboard adverts and calendar jobs.   After Mr. Nigeria, I took part in Mr. World and the Best Model of the World contest in Bulgaria, where I became 2010 best African model.

Q: How did you get into modelling?

A: I started by having agents because then, we did not have proper representatives. The agent would get jobs for us and collect a particular percentage. My agent convinced me that I would do well as a model but all the castings I went for were not successful. I almost gave up at a point but things started to improve.  I was doing runways, billboards and others.  Whenever I was rejected, I felt bad but when you start a career newly, you don’t really know what they want.  Now, as an experienced model, I know what they want.

Q:What do they want?

A: What I understand is that for every job, they need somebody to play a role.  It is either you are the character or you are learning to become that character.  Some people are willing to stretch you a bit. If they want you to be a footballer and you don’t know how to play football, they might teach you how to play football if you have the face and body of a footballer.  If the advertising agency is going to deliver a brief, then they would want to deliver the best and they would seek for the best man for the job.

Q: Can you compare the modelling in Nigeria with the practice abroad?

A: It is not the same. We need to acquire alot. These things have already been done and tested overseas for many years, so they know how it works.  But we are still learning and trying to meet up with international standards.

Q: What is your net worth as a model currently?

A: I really cannot say that. I don’t want somebody to wake up one day and claim that I owe them money. But I thank God, I am doing well. I am still growing.


Q: Any plans to retire?

A: I will definitely retire. Business will change hands and my organisation will want me to do other things. They will probably want me to step back and start presenting my own shows and grooming younger models. But whatever it is, it is something that will come with the right time. I will not be too forward and do something I am not supposed to do.

Q: If you were not a model, what would you have been?

A: I would probably be a businessman, like my father.

Q: How was growing up like?

A: I am from Ideato south, Imo State but I grew up in Lagos where we have our family house. Though my family lives in different parts of the world, we still meet and greet in the family house. I visit very often, probably once a week or once in two weeks but those abroad visit when on holidays.

Q: Are you residing in South Africa permanently?

A: Not at the moment. I was there for a long time but I am back in Nigeria. I travel to South Africa often to work, where I modelled internationally for three years.  After my one year reign as Mr. Nigeria, I had a three-year contract with Isis models, South Africa, and it was easy for me to function from there.  I had to establish myself in South Africa because companies who wanted to book me objected to models living outside South Africa.

Q: What did you study at school?

A: International relations.

Q: It seems you have added a lot of weight?

A: If you are someone who works out a lot, in no time, you will get bigger. In line with the kind of things I do and the kind of crowd, I needed to have my own personality.  Since I have to wear a lot of suits, I am expected to have a certain build to carry those clothes. It is a conscious decision. This determines what kind of clothes fit me and the crowd I appeal to.  I have a corporate gentleman look. For me, to maintain that look, I have to maintain a certain weight.

Q: What would you never be caught wearing?

A: Ill-fitting things and things like baggy clothes that are too big for me.

Q: What is your favourite look?

A: I love a clean cut tuxedo with pinstripes on the side; teamed with a slim print tie.  I like to make a first impression with my dressing.

Q: What is the worst way you would dress?

A: I would wear a lot of black as well as jacket. Then, I would wear high top suits, a hooded jacket and dark glasses.  My style reflects my mood.  If I don’t want to do something, I will wear something that restricts me from doing what I don’t want to do.  For instance, if I am at a party and I don’t want to dance, I would wear something that prevents me from dancing. But if   I am in a happy mood and I feel free, I will wear something that makes me move freely.

Q: Can you talk about your love life?

A: I honestly don’t like talking about my relationship.

Q: Is it true that you are engaged to a supermodel?

A: I don’t know about that. My relationship is not for all and I don’t like putting it out there for everybody to have something to say about it.

Q: But everybody has something to say…

A: If they have something to say; then they should go ahead and say it. I am not going to give them an objective and I am not going to supply the materials to nourish their gossip.

Q: Is it also true that you were dating Uche Jombo, an actress?

A: No, we were not dating. Uche is actually my sister.

Q: Are you thinking of settling down soon?

A: I will, when the time is right.

Q: What will influence your decision?

A: It is a mindset. I don’t believe that I will just wake up one day and get married when I know I am not physically and mentally ready. Nobody rushes into marriage because it is a lifetime commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment