Sunday 19 January 2014

Mum Taught Me How To Dress, Cook, Respect Women – RMD

Richard Mofe Damijo, the incumbent Commissioner of Culture and Tourism in  Delta State, is one of the most celebrated actors in Nigeria. Today, he is also one of the decision makers in Delta State government. The prolific  actor,  politician, journalist  and lawyer recently, in Asaba, talked about life as a politician, an actor  among  other things. Excerpts:

How did you become a commissioner in Delta state?

RMD: My governor was a willing vessel. He found me worthy enough to be appointed into his cabinet, which for me, was a great privilege to give flesh to his vision of a Delta state that should be a leader in the country. I started as special adviser for four years and subsequently I was elevated to a commissioner. I think  to a large extent, we have supported his dreams to make Delta,  a state to be proud of.

How’s life as a commissioner?

RMD: It’s a whole new ball game. It has  planted my  feet firmly on the ground and my perception of government and everything I knew before I  entered the public service has changed. It has drawn me closer to my people and  made me more internally focused in terms of knowing that life beyond Lagos is a whole lot different. The venire of life and the glamour of Nollywood and all that. Life here is way, way beyond that. Development, peace, security and making sure  people’s lives are secured and their future guaranteed are my  focus  now. I am privileged to be commissioner for culture and tourism and my responsibility entails  supporting Delta  beyond the oil dream.  We have embarked on a very ambitious project, which is the Delta Region Resort. It’s been a long time coming and we are hoping that we’ll be able to at least get to a reasonable stage before we leave. We’ve  been able to get a whole lot of young people off  the streets. That is what tourism does, it employs a lot of young vibrant people and the entry level doesn’t require a degree.

Can you elaborate more on   your achievements?


RMD: We’ve tried to make sure that Delta  state is a known destination. We have been able to first and foremost redefine  Asaba. Outside of Abuja, Asaba is probably the conference capital of Nigeria right now. We have hosted every segment of the society in Asaba till date.  In four years, we have turned it into a conferencing destination in Nigeria. We’ve  also tried  to use entertainment as a vehicle to redirect the energy of  youths. Remember when we came, there were lots of youths and militant agitation and all that. We needed to diversify the economy to the point where young people have alternatives. Firstly, we  organized a  Delta talent quest, which explored music, dance, comedy and acting as  means of engaging young people which we have done successfully. Some of our winners are right on the national stage now. A lot of young people emerged from the program and they are doing well. We’ve mentored  youths in the entertainment industry by  setting up a recording studio where we help  young people in  music and record  their videos for them. We run workshops from time to time  where we teach them camera skills, editing and all that. We do collaborations as well. In the process we’ve  improved the content of our television programmes. Our major agenda  is the Delta Region Resort. We’ve developed  the Delta Future Resort, Olieri, which is in the Warri area and  the Wild Park which is here in Ogwashiukwu.  The Warri Airport is being expanded and of course the Asaba International Airport is already  adjudged the finest airport in Nigeria. That’s why I said  it’s a very ambitious project. Upon completion, it’s going to drive major tourism traffic to this part of the world, as we are putting everything in place. Right now, Warri is being upgraded in terms of aesthetics.

The Asaba International Airport is under-utilized  in terms of flights coming here. Why?

RMD: It’s because it’s a new airport and construction is still in progress. We’re putting finishing touches here and there.  This airport will  be one of the busiest  in Nigeria and  the reason is simple.  Most  businessmen  in Onitsha, Anambra state,  find it more convenient to come through the Asaba International  Airport  and the minute  the airport is fully completed with all the conveyor belts working, the arrival and departure halls sorted out and all  other aviation requirements are  in place,   traffic will increase.

So, when will it be ready?

RMD: People tend to forget that there is nowhere in the world where you build and complete an international airport in four years. Heathrow and  Gatwick International Airports  that have been in existence for years  are constantly under renovation or being improved .  This airport is only how many years old?  The fact that we are even landing planes here, speaks a lot about  the pace of work  at the airport.

Could you tell us about your first day in office?

RMD: I looked forward to it , because I had been in the private sector all my adult life. I was almost 47 years old when I got into government.  It was just a day of observing and  meeting the people I was supposed to work with. I had four people to work with. I  introduced myself to them and they reciprocated  and took me through some orientation or processes. It was rather quiet. I was just sitting down, feeling  my way in and I  learnt what needed to be learned. It was quiet, it was fun in the sense that I had never closed  from work  at four. In fact the staff actually closed at four. When they  were about to leave they asked if there was  anything I wanted them to do and that they would wait, but work was done for the day  and I left as well.  That was the earliest I had ever closed but the minute I knew  what I  had  to do, of course there was no more closing hour.

How did you get your role in Tinsel?

RMD:I didn’t  audition for Tinsel. Before the governor was re-elected, you know there was a lull  and a change of  cabinet and all that. I didn’t have a job. After four years, I didn’t have a job. I got  a letter from a young friend of mine who was a member of the crew of Tinsel  that a lot of my young friends are working there that they would love  me to come and breeze in and just shake hands with them. I went and  when I got to Lagos, they took me round. We shook hands, we talked and  took pictures but  I didn’t know there was a small set-up or surprise. At the end of the day, one of the line producers gave me a script and said, my bros, look at this. I read it and I said oh, I like it and he said bros, will you like to come in with us even for a few episodes. I said yes, why not and that I wasn’t currently doing anything.  It was very hectic because it was not something I had plans to do; their recording schedule was quite professional and very hectic. So, I went on doing it.  It stretched beyond what was going to be a few episodes. When I was re-appointed, I had to  stop. I work in Asaba and doing all that traveling  all the time was tasking, but   they didn’t kick me out.  I’m hoping that when I have some break I will go back and do some more work.

You once published a male  magazine called Mr .  Do you intend to do  publishing later?

RMD: I don’t know if I will. You never say never. I love publishing totally. We did it at a time when technology had not really taken off, when the Internet wasn’t what it is now. Perhaps in the future. Publishing is a lot easier now than what it was then. There are a few more liberal people around now who will gladly invest in a good venture like that. It was my  first time  in journalism. I  gate-crashed into journalism first as a features writer. I started writing in 1985. I was acting intermittently too. I graduated in 1983 and I came to Lagos in 1984 and was acting. I didn’t really want a regular job, so in between acting  it was Segun Adeleke of The Punch at that time that got me into writing. He came to watch a play that I reviewed. I had about five minutes to review the play. He liked what I said and he asked  me if I could  repeat what I said in writing?  I said yes. I read Theatre Arts,so  I could  do it and he published what I wrote. Subsequently,  Ben Tomoloju and others kept encouraging me to keep writing. Overnight, I became a  reviewer of plays. The late Steve Rhodes read some of my reviews  and he invited me every time they had a show to  review.  I  wrote  musical reviews, theatre reviews and that was how my journalism started. I left for England  after a while and subsequently , I joined Concord Newspapers as a reporter. Mike  Awoyinfa was my editor then. Awoyinfa sharpened my skills and  he was one of the most patient people I have ever worked with.  I worked for him as a staff writer. When they started Weekend Concord, I met my late wife. I later on wrote for her.  She left Quality Magazine at a time and she wrote  columns for Weekend Concord  before we started Classique.

What do you plan to do next,  are you going to the Senate or the  House of Representatives ?

RMD: I can’t tell you unfortunately. I’m not one of those that will tell you this is my next ten- year plan.  I don’t know if it’s a character flaw or if it’s just overdependence on God. I really don’t tend to over plan my future.  I’m sure when the time for the next logical steps come, it will just come. I give God the credit for everything  I am today. It’s all  the grace of God. He’s the only that can move me to the next level.  I’m still excited  about  working with one of the most visionary governors in Nigeria today. Hopefully, when we are done here, I will declare what I want to do. I can simply say right now, I’m not interested in running for elective office.

At what time did you  become a politician?

RMD: I met my governor through a  program I was running. I used to run a franchise called "Made in Warri". It was a comedy I created in response to  very silly things comedians said about Warri. I grew up in Warri and that was not the image of Warri I knew. For me at that time, it was important to say to the world that everything that is Warri is positive and that was my message. Some of the most brilliant people are in that little town. So, I started "Made in Warri" as an image-laundering programme for Warri and at that time Governor Uduaghan was the SSG . It was important for me to get the governor of the state to attend one of the shows at the time. So, Ahmadu Ikime and I met at the airport. 

Sometimes, it’s amazing how God does things. He was  with a former CNN correspondent who is a friend of mine. Even before he joined CNN, he was writing for Reuters. We met at the airport. Ahmadu was with him and we started gisting. Ahmadu asked if I knew him  and I said yes,  we had been friends forever. He accused me of not visiting  Delta often and  I told him  I used  to,  that I just traveled home to see if I could see some of the people in government. He said  don’t worry , when next you come to Delta I will introduce you to the SSG. He did  and right there at  his dining table, I mentioned Made in Warri to him and he became interested. He said  there were  many negative things said about Warri and he was glad I was doing it  adding “Maybe with this, we can correct a lot of  bad  impression” and I invited him to one of the shows in Lagos. He came. He climbed the stage and cracked jokes and that was how our friendship started. Later on, I discovered  he was going to run for the governorship of the state. Of course, here was a man that has supported me so much, because of the vision he had for Warri at the time and  I knew anything good coming out of Warri means something good coming to Delta. So, I pitched my tent with him and got few of my colleagues to support him also. When he won, he was gracious enough to invite me to join  his cabinet and the rest is now history.
 
What’s  it like  working with Gov. Uduaghan?

RMD: Fantastic,  I have learnt a lot . Being in government is so different from  being outside looking in. It’s always better to be inside looking in, then your perception changes. It’s a wonderful opportunity and  a privilege to be here.

I’ve learnt  there are a lot more to do for my people. I’m more interested now in developing my people and  my area. I have done more things now in my village and  in my local government. I apply myself to make sure that I’m available to the young people in Delta State, especially in my local government . There’s so much to be done and once you get it right with the younger people then you can guarantee the future. I try to pass on the little knowledge that I have to as many of them as possible, so that they can navigate through life. There are people that are able to get jobs today, go to school today on  account of what I have done for them. That gives me joy.

So who has influenced your life most? Your mum, dad or your teacher?

RMD: My mum is my heroine. It  may be because I’m her only child. I spent all my childhood  with my mum. I’m 52 today and I still feel there are things that  I want to do today.  I could hear my mum’s  voice and could remember what my mum would  say. Once in a while, off guard, I  say my mum will kill me if she sees me doing this. Undoubtedly my mum  has  the greatest influence on me.

Also, Wole Soyinka is another great influence in my life.  I love intellectuals. When I discovered Soyinka, as difficult as he was, people ran  away from Soyinka in school but for me, it was different. I’ve read a lot of his plays and poems. There are plays people ran away from but I went back to discover the essence of the man. When I left school, I was privileged to work with him after he won the  Nobel Prize. I traveled with him to Italy, we did a play and I was privileged to be under his direction. We spent about 28 days in  a remote village in Italy. It’s an unforgettable experience.
 
As an only child, were you over pampered?

RMD: Not in anyway. My mum will lift you up with your ears if you misbehaved. She used to tell me “You’re my  everything”.  At age 9, I was cooking. I could cook for the entire house. Those virtues I had imbibed  all my life. She taught me to be humble,  respectful  and  be sensitive to women. My mum told me “You don’t ever lay your hands on a woman”. These are things  she taught me that I would never forget. I wasn’t spoilt at all. Since she knows that I don’t like to be embarrassed , my mum will wait for my friends to come before she  starts screaming at me. I will be begging her and saying these are my friends now and she will say, “Yes, let them know how you are treating me”.
 
You dress impeccably, what’s  your style?

RMD: It’s largely based on my mum’s influence too. My mum sold fabrics (wrappers). She wasn’t very rich at all. She never owned a car until I bought her one but she was very stylish and she was the one that bought me clothes. Since she sold clothes, she  always reserved at least  two yards of clothes for me whenever I needed it. So I never lacked clothes. I grew up loving to wear new clothes, shoes and everything. It’s true when they say style is innate, but  you learn it, you pick a few along the way.  I have loved clothes all my life and  I picked a few things on the way and when it  was time to publish a magazine, I actually sat down to start sartorial elegance. What a man should wear to work, what forms complete dressing and good dressing and all that. That was why Mr  was such a hit , because I could tell men then that you could  wear a suit without lace-up shoes. Then, I went to study law where you must dress up , you must be fit and proper. You must be elegant. All my   life, I have always felt the need to dress well  and I learnt how English people dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment